Friday, July 17, 2009

Bento Fever!

I've been dabbling bentos lately. I really love http://lunchinabox.net/ for ideas and tips. I learned that you can premake rice balls and freeze them, so I've been making batches of star (squeeze the rice into a star cookie cutter!) shaped rice "balls" and freezing all of those in a plastic bag (sans the individual wrapping as Biggie suggests- I get along just fine without it and not doing that saves plastic!)

The great thing about these, is that they're easy to make, you control what you eat, you don't have much waste left over from them because most of the materials can be reusable.

Since I've been stuck in my house since April, I finally got to use everything I've learned last Saturday at my first training session at the aquarium. I don't have any pictures because I was in a hurry, but this week I'll try to take some.

Someday I wanna spring for "real" bento gear, but what I have is more than adequate. My box is a cheap tupperware with a cover that has a rubber band seal and a tab on each side that goes down to lock the box. I got it for $1 at my local dollar store. I also have chopsticks, that I am not proud of. You see, I went to the store to buy a pack of chopsticks. My brother already had the red ones, so I grabbed the white ones that way we wouldn't mix them up. I opened up the package to use them one day, and they did not feel like plastic. They were smooth and almost earthy. I looked at the package and almost cried. They're made of ivory. I really thought that for $2/12 pack they would be just plastic.

I usually carry my whole set up in a small (about the size of a dictionary) cloth tote bag that I got for free online somewhere or another. If there's something that needs to be insulted, I use a foil/Styrofoam envelope that was the wrapper of a pack of mochi I got at my local Asian food mart. I had to save it because it's a perfect insulator.

I packed 2 of my star shaped rice balls, a cupcake cup full of sliced up grilled chicken, another cupcake cup full of fresh strawberries, and filled any gaps with fresh cherries and those little fruit jello cups (saved the cups to reuse for making my own jello)from Asian markets. The result was great. It was enough to keep me going for the remaining 4 or so hours of training, and this is a really on your feet job, so I'm surprised so little filled me up. I also got a compliment on my arrangement during lunchtime! I did not expect that.

No comments:

Post a Comment